The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

15 And Fifteen Doubled

Our file has now been in Ethiopia for fifteen months. If someone dared mentioning that to me twelve months ago, it is possible they'd have been in for a black eye. Honestly, I'm not sure I would have made it this far, as sane as I have. That's the thing with life though isn't it?

You never know what you're going to get...you know, the box of chocolates thing. (Thanks Forrest.)

And journeys of 1000 miles begin with one step.

I am thankful, not for the turmoil of what was our life over the summer and months following but rather for the strength we have found in ourselves and moreso in our faith through it all. We no longer take parenting and the ability to adopt or have children biologically as something we should simply be able or allowed to do, providing we take the right steps. I have always, always claimed parenting to be a privilege and not a right. Yet, I don't think I truly understood what I was stating until this past many months. So, while I am not thankful for the heartache, I am thankful for the growth it allowed. And am thankful for the friendships I have made through this all...adoption-related and not. I am thankful for the best this stress has brought out in others and through them, we have been encouraged and carried.

Last night Imagine Adoption was featured on The National. It's been a very highly, positively publicised week thus far. However, after this particular segment we were called and emailed by two individuals whom we wouldn't usually have heard from; one from whom we have never received a phone call but who has been extremely encouraging and supportive upon each meeting.

These troubled times, they bring our the best when the best is at stake.

So thank you for keeping us going 15 months strong. And for the months ahead, thank you also. We don't know how long our wait will be but we know this: it is no longer "if" but rather "when".

(Oh - and the fifteen doubled thing...let's just say that '79 was a good year. A very very good year.)

3 comments:

shaunak said...

Hope you had a Hapyy Birthday!

Merry Christmas!

Shauna, Molly, Selamu and Dexter

Sharla said...

So happy for you that you are now waiting for the "when" and not the "if"! I look forward to hearing when you get "the call"! Merry Christmas!

shannon said...

HI
I am bit behind in reading, but was so excited with this post and to read about reaching "15 months" as I am right there with you and I agree about not really being ready to trade in what I have learnt about myself since July.
Ok here 's to our wait , I also cant guess at this point what it will be, but I feel in my heart this is the year I see my daughters face and I cant wait !!!!!!!!!!
Shannon
Happy Happy new year