The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It Always Happens Around Now

Right around this time each month, just before we hit our monthly marker I get antsy. Some might call it impatience. Others would say it's normal.

As we climb higher numerically and our wait time grows, I just find it tough. Some days I doubt our decision - after all, I was pregnant for a mere 4 weeks more than this and presto: baby. Ok, well maybe not "presto".

Then I come across articles like the one below and I am encouraged. Don't get me wrong - I still clean like a freak, purge the closets/cupboards/toy bins/whatever else gets in my way (hey, we all deal with stress in our own way!) - but I am also reassured that this truly is the path we were meant to take.

From Guilt to Gospel

I’ve been there. You’ve probably been there too. I’ve not only had it happen to me, but I’ve done it. I’ve tried to motivate folks to do good and ended up leaving them feeling more guilty than feeling moved by the gospel. The dangers of that are plenty.

Here’s a small list to know if you are being motivated by guilt or by the gospel. I’d love to hear your thoughts and additions to the list.

Guilt may motivate you but often leaves you:

  • Feeling like if I don’t do this God will not love me as much
  • Feeling as though my eternal salvation depends on my good works
  • Feeling tired and worn
  • Feeling like I ought too
  • Feeling anxious
  • Feeling fearful
  • Feeling like God needs me

Guilt happens when we speak more about what we should do than what Christ has already done and promises to do for us and through us.

The Gospel motivates us by:

  • giving us the freedom to do this because God’s acceptance of me is not based on my performance
  • joy in the reality that my salvation is dependent upon Christ’s works and not mine
  • leaving us energized and strengthened
  • the awareness that I am privileged too
  • trust that God will take care of the impossible, the details, and the outcomes
  • faith
  • the truth that God doesn’t need me but loves to use me
  • joy in reflecting the heart of God in our world

The Gospel is communicated when we speak about what Christ has done on our behalf through His death and resurrection and what that means for us today and what that leads us to do. May this be what motivates us to great acts of love and compassion and justice for the good of our fellow man and God’s glory!

-Jason Kovacs

No comments: