The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bitten

I am a sewer. I love it. I can start and finish a project in an afternoon, if I've chosen the pattern design wisely.

I also love following patterns. I hate cutting them out, placing them, and then cutting again. But the needle zipping along the fabric is exciting to me.

Directions serve me well and I usually follow them to a "t".

I have sworn I would not sew anything girlie for us until our adoption was complete...with the exception of a little white dress many months ago.

I've been antsi though. Needing to get to the machine and sew something. There's a pile of beautiful fabric waiting for a referral until it will be picked up and transformed into a quilt.

There has also been a many-metered piece of fleece calling my name lately.

So yesterday, pattern-less but needing to do something, I was bitten by the sewing bug.

A friend generously gave me enough of the soft green stuff for two hoodies for my boys with much to spare.

So, I took a deep breath.

Starting cutting freehand.

Hoped for the best.

Spent a few hours at the machine and at the mercy of one small, thin, needle.

And the result - aside from the tangible of two toddler hoodies - was preciously perfect.

Smiles and hugs.

"I don't want to take it off" was more than enough for me.

Why did I wait so long?

4 comments:

7gmama said...

Great job...all your own too without a pattern. Just the start of lots of fun and just time for you.

Sharon

Bethany Pearce said...

um - i kind-da wish you were my neighbour right now so I could come over and see what you've been sewing!
Unlike you- I hate patterns. But... my free-hand stuff does NOT come out as nice as that! Hopefully one day it will!

I found a great pattern for a grown-up hoodie a while back.. it's sort-ta like a scuba hoodie. IT's by Jolie (a canadian company). You can probably find it through google.

Mel said...

Ohhh wow! how in the world did you do that with out a pattern! Amazing (and super cute on Noah, I love the neck and hood!) I have been holding off making slippers for your daughter! I'll be excited for the day when you tell me what size and colour to make them! Yey!

John and Andrea said...

Ashleigh, you are AMAZING!! That hoodie is awesome! I think the sewing bug is going around because I (a non-sewer) have also been enjoying "creating" somewhat more simple projects lately.