The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On Courage

I consider myself an honest person.

I am a hard-working individual.

I value quality over quantity.

I strive to raise my children in a way that makes me proud and that gives honour to my God.

I tear up when I think of the plight of the orphans and I get angry when I see waste that we take for granted.

Injustice in the world is just that: unjust.

I often feel helpless so when opportunity presents itself I like to leap at the chance to help.

I like to do something over nothing - whenever possible.

Anything is better than nothing.

Ironically, I fail in the area of saying "no" to helping others and asking for my own help when I need it.

At the risk of being unable to help others though, I will be courageous today and ask for your help.

It's not easy and I don't like to do it.

Yet, the help is not actually not for me.

There are hundred, thousands who you can help really really easily.

And, you can do it through me.

And the bottom line is that I cannot help them without you helping me first.

Confused? Sorry.

Several weeks ago I shared about this kick-butt experience. Together with a friend, I left 28 km in the dust. A week after that we went out again but this time I said good-bye to 31km. This is all jogging by-the-way. I felt on top of the world...except for my throbbing ankles.

You may also recall my exclamation of enjoying a 1/2 Marathon and planning another one sometime in the distant future. You may also recall I swore I would not register for a full Marathon. Ever. Period.

This is the part where I eat Crow.

A couple of weeks ago, I was approached by our Agency in Victoria to fundraise for the Teens who are "in the system". They are in foster care and need nothing but loving, stable homes. Funds are needed to do this. Fundraising happens through the Royal Victoria Marathon. This is the first year our Agency has ever been selected to be a registered charity through this event. And they are seeking to raise $15,000 which I think is just an awesome goal

And, if you believe in flukes - as I do not - then you will not understand why this is so meaningful to me. You see, I know that everything happens for a reason. There is perfect timing in everything. This opportunity included.

I contemplated this opportunity - running to raise money for Teens who live in our province! - for a grand total of 10 seconds before deciding I just had to do it.

"I'll register for the 1/2 marathon. It won't be that hard and I won't even really have to train much," I thought to myself.

Conviction was my next hurdle: If these orphaned kids...the ones who are parentless and simply trying to make it through life...don't have it easy then why the heck should I?

Wouldn't completion be that much sweeter if the goal was that much tougher to attain?

Because, it's not about the marathon. The running isn't just about putting one foot in front of the other for 42.2 km. This is about something so much greater than me.

So here is the part where I gather all my courage and ask YOU to help ME help THEM.

I need to fundraise a minimum of $250. You may recall our fabulous Adoption Fundraising Yard Sale this past July. I prayed for $1000 and we were provided with $2000. The math is pretty easy this time around...50 people at only $5 each, 25 people at only $10 each, etc etc.

It's really only a latte or so that you would have to skip. I know it's a bit of a tall order but I would be so grateful. (No pun intended.)

I see the hits this blog can get, so if you're reading then I am talking to you. You may not know me well and vice versa. However, my guess is that you have been following this for awhile and you know my heart. I am using up my little bit of courage to ask for your help.

You see, asking for money is way out of my league. So this is big.

My goal is to complete the fundraising within 2 months from now. I have added my email address on the side bar if you want to help. Please contact me and I would be honoured to have you help give hope to the kids who likely, some of them live very near to your doorstep.

Thank you for helping me achieve a huge goal and for helping give hope to kids in our province.

1 comment:

FTD said...

I agree - teens in care need courageous people like you and great agencies like Choices
- we pledge $50