The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Scratch That

I found a great recipe...or one that appealed to me...in a Rachael Ray magazine while in California last month. It appealed because Carrot Cake has always just seemed yummy in my mind. {so sad for me, i can't eat the stuff because of a wheat/corn allergy but i recall the taste from back in the day when i could enjoy it all}

The one bone of contention I've always had with this specific dessert, however, is the gross amount of oil used in it. Hence my appreciation of the one I found. The trick seems to be in the sour cream. I'm okay with that. Yet, due to my need to use as little sugar as possible I felt the need to alter it a bit - make it a fun, kid/family/waistline/heart friendly dessert.

I thought I would substitute a few ingredients...you know, just give it a bit of TLC. But I didn't have any carrots yesterday, nor do I ever have canned fruit in the house. So, well, I gave it a complete overhaul and apparently it worked. I can still call it a cake, (mainly because I baked it in a square cake pan) and that in itself makes little fingers and mouths all the more anticipatory. In the same breath, I don't at all feel guilty for allowing them to "indulge" in what is likely the closest thing they've ever had to a non-birthday-cake.

So, because I realize we are all busy people I will post the recipe instead of making you head over to Rachael's site. (Apparently she and I are now on a first name basis?! Um, okay Ashleigh.)

Carrot Top: (Carrot-Pineapple Bundt Cake with Sour Cream Frosting)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped fresh/canned pineapple
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Icing:
Well, you're going to have to head over to the site for that because I didn't make it.

The Gist of the Directions:
Mix top 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together following 5 ingredients. Stir in carrots, pineapple, and nuts. Then, add flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter into greased 6-cup bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 55 mins.

My Version.

Okay, before getting into this I should perhaps make it known that, (as mentioned above) I didn't have any carrots or pineapple in the house. Also, the walnuts weren't opened yet. Oh - and I was out of Olive Oil.

Zucchini Cake With A Twist:
1 cup flour (next time I think I'll try oat or spelt flour and perhaps I'll be able to have it)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1+ tbsp cinnamon (you can never, in my opinion, use enough of this stuff in baking)
1/2 tbsp nutmeg (it just gives it that "mmm" taste with a bit of kick)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup peanut oil (I really have no clue what to use peanut oil for...I realize it's not usually baking...but it was given to me by friends as they were moving and couldn't take it, and like I already said I was out of olive oil)
1 egg
1 1/4 cup zucchini (we grew a whack of them in the summer and I had a ton of it shredded and frozen just waiting for a moment such as this)
1/2 cup apple sauce (from our fall applesaucing days...nothing but pure apples)
1/2 cup raisins (why not?!)
1/2 cup almonds (like I said, the walnuts weren't open)

Directions a la Ashleigh:

Mix together. Throw in square 9x9 (I think) pan and bake at 350 for about 30 mins.

The boys were ecstatic. Ben enjoyed them too, though gave me a funny glance when I tried to explain what was in them and how the original recipe looked.

I love recreating versions of already perfected recipes. Rachael Ray makes this easy to do and it's fun for everyone. Plus, who doesn't love dessert full of good stuff?!

--
PS: We're now sitting around #25

1 comment:

Barb said...

Hey somehow I missed that you were gluten free too! We really must talk shop sometime and compare notes. I've taken to buying GF flour and making almost all of my normal recipes so I can still have carrot cake and carrot muffins. I've been using applesauce in place of the oil and with the exception of a little bit of dryness and crumbling they still taste pretty good. Just aren't very kid-friendly/travel friendly.

Go #24!!

Barb