The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cookies For The Kids

I'm always on the lookout for fun, new, healthy recipes for our family. I especially love the simple finds, so little hands can help out.

I was really excited to find this keeper the other day...though it's only a keeper now that I've manipulated it to what I want it to be. I tried it out and whaddya know, not only the kids but Ben loves them too.

I believe I googled Applesauce Cookies, as we have a ridiculous amount of applesauce in these parts. It's a great hobby of mine in the fall, (saucing that is...not googling) and goodness knows that because of my "holy crap what's going to happen with our adoption" slump this past September, I didn't take the time to can. That known, I can share with you that our freezer has been much too full of much too much applesauce for several months now. (As an aside, canning is definitely worth it - if only for the freezer space alone.) It got ridiculous enough that I began baking off trays and trays of Apple and Pear Fruit Leather - also a loved (and easy to make!) snack around here. (Note: it doesn't take up as much space in the freezer...)

I digress...

Here you go...if I were to name them (and I didn't...originally) in the long-winded fashion with which I write, I would call them:


Ashleigh's No Sugar Applesauce Cinnamon Raisin Cookies
  • 2 cups flour (I used a regular/whole wheat combo but I would guess that oat flour would be yummy and great for kids under 1yr - I think I'll try that next time)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon (we like spice around here...)
  • 1/2 tbsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup butter (the real stuff, people)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cup sauce (add a little more if the dough seems really dry...oh - and mine happened to be apple/pear sauce...unsweetened!)
  • 1 apple, finely chopped
  • 1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 375. Combine butter (slightly melted), egg, sauce, apple, raisins and mix well. Add all dry ingredients and stir until blended. Either grease cookie sheet or use a silicone mat (this is what I use) and drop cookies on to tray about a tbsp size...they'll look a little messy...it's okay, it just means they have character. Bake about 15-20 mins until brown.

See...
Yum!!


*disclaimer: if a cookie simply ain't a cookie to you without a little chocolate I would say, great combos could be:
  1. 70% dark (or semi-sweet) chocolate chunks (about 1/2 cup) as the cocoa would bring out the nuttiness of the nutmeg
  2. white chocolate with craisins (total 1 1/2 cup...replace the raisins)

No comments: