The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

MLK Jr

I don't know much, but I read a bit awhile ago about Martin Luther King Jr. And I'd love to know more. Not a Saint (but deemed so by many) this man was a true hero in my books. He made strides and took steps of faith and shared pearls of wisdom beyond his years and ahead of his time. He made mistakes. Many of them. (Apparently he was a human being.) But he possessed this intense, unhindered, desire for equality and yearning to see racism eradicated that leaves me in awe.

Again, I don't know much. Yet, some of the words which rolled of his tongue during his life fascinate, encourage, strengthen, and give hope to my sometimes weary heart. Many of his recorded moments leaving me thinking "yes, this is how it should be" or with shivers simply rolling down my spine.

If you're looking for an "up" today, go here.

Below are a few of the more - to me - impressionable and inspirational of his speech excerpts...

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.


The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop and help this man, what will happen to me?" But...the good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop and help this man, what will happen to him?"


Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?


I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.


And now that I've read them and been inspired, I feel the innate need to act upon them.

No comments: