The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Monday, March 1, 2010

Secret Pal Stuff

I entered the Secret Pal exchange early last month. I've never done one and I thought it might help pass the time.

I was excited at first.

Then I regretted having done it.

I didn't want to be "that" person. You know, the one who gives crappy gifts. Because it's actually quite a hard thing for me...thinking outside the box and then doing it for someone I've never met. I finally saw a few pictures of her (after having sent the first month's gift,) so that helped a bit, but I still don't know much about her or her family.

I changed my mind (about the regret) as soon as her words came across my screen several days ago. Apparently, I was able to hit the nail on the head. And I was so thankful. (Some might say, rejoicing in her excitement.)

What I didn't realize was how very touched I would be when I received my Secret Pal gift. They are simply perfect. You see, we read a lot around here. A. Lot.

It's like our go-to, no-fail activity regardless of the weather, the season, or our location.

This is just the sweetest book.


But, I Love You Like Crazy Cakes had me whispering the last few words, trying to swallow that lump in my throat. And, while the country isn't the one we are adopting from the giver of the gift reminded me in her card that we simply need to change the country to suit our needs.

It's perfect.

No comments: