The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Friday, January 30, 2009

It's A Journey...It's A Journey...It's A Journey

I had to keep telling this to myself as I read through my emails this morning...specifically the emails from our facilitator.

When our dossier arrived in Ethiopia in September we were quoted, "six months from when your dossier arrives in Addis Ababa, you should receive 'the call'". I was good with that. It sat nicely.

Then, about a month or so ago I made some inquiries and the updated timeline was, "we are seeing wait times of about 8 months". Eek. Made my skin crawl a bit. I just couldn't imagine waiting two months on top of what we'd already been told. The build-up timeline (paperwork, homestudy, notarization, etc) had already taken more than it should have. Our social worker was less than adequate and professional and though we were as organized as we could have been and had everything read to go, she was not efficient.

Within recent weeks the government has changed some of the court policies, making it more of challenge to pass court the first, second, or even third time around. All of this takes time of course. Not one or two days but weeks and sometimes months.

Well, this morning I received another email quoting an even more lengthy timeline of "9-10 months for referrals". Sigh.

The clencher is this: The Ethipian courts close for summer break usually during August and September. So, while this didn't concern us when we thought referral time was only 6 months, it could now work against us. If we are referred a child in June or July, it is quite possible that her files will not arrive in court until August. They will sit there until the end of September at which time court will be back in session...and who knows how many times we may have to attempt, before we are successful.

So, while I've never asked for this before and feel that for me it's a bit bold, I would like to ask you to do something. If you could pray that would be so great. I know many of you are, but if you could like really, truly, inocently, like a child, pray. I'm not asking for an overnight miracle (feel free to pray for that though if you want). I'm asking that you would pray that our wait would be timely enough to not get stuck with closed courts. We are seeking a referral sooner than later. Though I know there are many whose waits will be longer than ours, and maybe I'm being unrealistic and selfish, I am asking you to pray anyway.

Because, where two or more are gathered there He will be.