The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Monday, February 9, 2009

Not Such A Proud Canadian

If asked a month ago whether or not I love being a Canadian, I would have said with no uncertainty that I wouldn't trade my citizenship for any other. I think Canada is fabulous. I think we are proud but not boastful. I think we have a great medical system (it's not perfect but it is great). I think BC is beautiful and warm. I think the East Coast is incredible in the fall. I think the Rockies are close to another worldly wonder. I think it is a safe, simple, superbly patriotic country. I love being a Canadian.

I am learning though, that while not everything is perfect there are parts of this great country that are nowhere near the realm. In a place where I thought little discrimination could be found, I was wrong. In a place I seek safety in my citizenship and the citizenship of my children (and child-to-be), I have been seriously mislead and let down.

I won't harp on the frustration of Bill C-37 anymore after today. I don't think. Sadly there is a Part II to my Citizenship unease. This citizenship bill was passed on Dec 20, 2007 and it allowed Canadians adopting children born outside our country to bring their children in, as citizens. In it's most basic form it seemed wonderful. Eliminating several steps needed to complete the citizenship process, needed by those using the PRV (permanent resident visa) route.

However, as of late there was been several frustrations with this bill. The most recent and greatest concern, in my very unprofessional opinion is new legislation that will take place on April 17, 2009.

This new legislation will create a two-tier system for Canadians. Yes, that's right we are no longer all equal. We will now be "Class A" or "Class B" citizens. Makes you sick, right?!

Essentially the legislation provides that the children of some internationally adopted children will not have a right to Canadian citizenship. So Ben's and my grand-children will be second class citizens. Doesn't this image just take you back to the scenes from Titanic? We see different classes residing on different floors of the ship, and the lower floors being left to fend for themselves when the ship begins to sink. This really happened...but I didn't think it could exist in our country...in 2009.

The Annual Report to Parliament on Immigration, 2008, begins with the following words:
"The Citizenship Act, under which CIC grants citizenship to eligible newcomers, affirms that all Canadians have the same rights, privileges and responsibilities whether they are citizens by birth or naturalization."
That will change as of April 17, 2009. In an attempt to solve the problem of Canadian citizenship being handed down generationally to people who don't actually live in Canada, the government has reduced the citizenship rights of some internationally adopted children, and effectively created a lesser class of citizenship for them. Was this really necessary? It feels like a sledgehammer was used to kill a flea. Could not a more elegant solution have been found to actually deal with the perceived problem?"


While we, the adoptive parents already have to deal with EI discrimination. Now it seems that generations proceeding us will be paying the price for an act that, in it's most basic form is life-changing for everyone.

And, while some governmental parties are truly trying to make better of this, it just isn't happening.

The Report of the Senate Standing Committee, which reviewed Bill C-37, states:

"Such a distinction would grant citizenship to a first generation born outside Canada while denying it to their children and subsequent generations were they to be born abroad. Such a provision strikes your Committee as arbitrary and unfair."

The Committee also added: "Rather, the Committee urges the government to ensure that all aspects of new citizenship legislation are Charter-compliant and consistent with Canadian values".


We wait and watch as the government discriminates against those who are seeking to change the generational outcome of many small children. We, adoptive parents (or waiting adoptive parents) have been given the privilege, the honour, and the responsibility to raise our children. Yet, we are unable to promise equal rights of citizenship.

It is an insult to adopting parents to say that their children now have a lesser class of Canadian citizenship. The government needs to rethink these provisions and find a solution that does not put limitations on the rights of citizenship for internationally adopted children. The government should find a solution which fits the actual problem. This article is a call to action for adopting parents.


I am a glass-half-full kinda' girl. Lately though, I feel as though someone is drinking from my cup.

I will digress and try to maintain a positive outlook...

No comments: