The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Because Treats Should Be Rare

I love this post written in the blog of a friend of a friend ... !

"...How much stuff do we have to own? When (insert your child's name) gets his/her free Webkinz, then I will have to get one for (insert your other child's name), right? And they have to have friends for their Webkinz. And they will have to spend hours on the computer….the floodgate opens. Am I a bad mother because I don’t let them have Webkinz? I know I’m not. But I am frustrated that the world makes me feel like I am. I feel as though I am constantly on guard about teaching my children what I believe. I believe in exercising imagination, creating an environment which stimulates curiosity and building a home where we talk and be together doing some old fashioned fun–read books, play games, art and building a fort...

On a typical day of running errands, we have to say ‘no’ about 5 times to someone wanting give my kids candies. I know they mean well and my kids are cute. I hate being the bad guy always saying ‘no’. I want to be the one to give treats to my kids. And when they get treats, I want them to be excited because treats are supposed be rare...

It would be easy if I just did things to keep peace and let my kids have everything they want or everyone else have. I believe in being the change. Living wholeheartedly what I believe and hopefully inspiring others to do the same. But if I am not teaching my next generation what is important, what good does that do?..."

1 comment:

Lola said...

She's quite insightful, eh?