The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Saturday, March 7, 2009

What's In A Year

If you check out our Journey Of A Thousand Mile date markers on the right, you'll notice that one year ago today we applied with Choices Adoption to begin our adoption.

I vividly remember filling out what at that time seemed like several forms (I now know that in the adoption world, that was nothing!) and writing out a cheque for $3000 with a shaky hand. (I also realize now that, that fee was pennies compared to what was to come.) These were simply the application fees. We had done the research and knew that we fell within the income brackets that approved a family of our size to expand through adoption, and we couldn't see any major obstacles that would impede our application but...$3000 is a lot of money to spend on anything, let alone an application which I pessimistically thought could go either way.

I recall taking the envelope down to the post office and enduring a bit of a mental tug-of-war as I handed the envelope over to our Canada Post employee. I even remember specifically, it was Barb. It's strange the details our memory won't allow us to forget.

I can't believe it's been a year.

For fun, I thought I would check back in our photo files and see what we were up to on March 7, 2008. And I had to chuckle when I saw what we were doing...you may recognize some of the scenery from yesterday's "photoshoot". We spent several hours doing yesterday, what we did exactly 1 year ago.
2008



2009


And for those who would say, "Wow, time sure has gone fast hasn't it?", I would hesitate but reply, yes. And while we have made great progress tangibly and as far as a paper-trail is concerned, there are days when I feel as though we are still standing on square one.

The next step will be a jump. It won't take place for several months. It will likely be at least another 6. It will be a significant one.

BRING IT ON.

No comments: