The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Monday, July 21, 2008

"Will She Like Us, Mama?"

That's what Noah asked me the other night after our Adoption Fundraising Yard Sale. We had a very successful day and raised more than I had prayed specifically for. There is still are few dollars here and there trickling in but we raised over $1750! It was very exciting and affirming to have so many friends supporting us.

On Saturday evening the boys are I were sitting down to supper. I wandered over to the kitchen to grab something and as I was doing so Noah, out of the blue asked, "Mama, do you think our baby sister will like us?". (Insert "awwww" here.) I think my heart may have melted in that instant. "Yes bud, I think she will love us very very much." Such deep, kind thoughts and questions for such a little boy. It's so thought-provoking, some of the things that pass through the minds of little ones. Maybe we think them but our self-esteem, or concern of social acceptance doesn't allow us to voice them. Maybe, as I have, we just assume our children will love us. What other option is there. How remarkable that a 3 year old would wonder if the sister he has never met (who may not be born) will even like him. His sweetness and thoughtfulness is often mature beyond his years.

I will save the next "baby sister" story for tomorrow.

1 comment:

FTD said...

awwwwwwwwww :)