The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Monday, February 6, 2012

A Pair And A Sweater


Long before she came home...likely, (certainly?!) before our referral, I made a sweater and leg warmer set for Ms Makeda. And while it's still quite roomy, after looking at the dusting of snow which fell last night and the colour of her onesie which would match the vest perfectly, I thought: "why not?!". She look(s) so cozy in it and it makes this sick Mama feel maybe just a wee bit warm and fuzzy inside. It's soft and makes me want to grab (another) cup of tea and cozy on up.

And, after taking a few glam shots I looked at this one and thought "oh my, whose child is this?!". What kind of unkempt hair has come upon her?! In all my woe-is-me-I-feel-like-I-am-swallowing-nails moments this morning I obviously didn't realize it (the african baby hair) was as bad as it truly is...er...was.


So, we cuddled on the couch and as she rested her head on my chest I fiddled my fingers around a created another single non-row corn row.

Oh...yeah...and Curious George was on. Just for her. Specifically for that purpose - the one of getting her to sit still.


OH MY WORD.

I have become that mother.

The one who bribes her child with television.

Well...she is the third. No two ways about it.

And I'm definitely ill. I have the Dr's appointment to prove it. (If you know me well, you'll know this definitely does prove it.) And the babe's sick too. And she's got an appointment to prove it too. Boo hoo.


I digress. Yes, I am the horrible mother of a 14 month old who turned on the TV simply to be able to non-row corn row her daughter's hair.

But then I looked at it and the single row thing just wasn't doing it for me. So, I doubled it. A pair. Two are better than one.


And it's sweet, no?!

And so that I could get a half decent shot, this time I bribed her with my cell.

Like I said, apparently I am that mother.

I've accepted it. Let's all move on.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, Ashleigh, I am also that mother. Amazingly with 4 other kids I can't just sit and play with Eyob all day. So I have resorted to t.v. sometimes as well. I'm trying not to feel to guilty. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Holly said...

movies are a great distraction! trust me! i was/am in Makeda's spot many a time when I was younger/now.

Katie Leipprandt said...

I'm just impressed she sat still for long enough to allow this even WITH the TV on. I think Britain would squirm out of my lap in half a minute!